Welcome back fellow viewers! Project Ventura is train still on the track to success and rolling along. So last time we chatted I was discussing simple machines and possible design ideas that Sierra and I were thinking about that would be great for the trailer and would satisfy our clients. For the past two weeks when we weren’t on break we have really dug in and started getting technical for the project. First we worked on our floor plans which we tell us where everything belongs in the trailer and the layout. Sierra and I both went home and for homework constructed two individual floor plans that we came up with on our own, then we meet with each other after school to construct our final floor plan that would be most effective with the space we have in the trailer. As a pair we decided on the floor plan that consisted of having a 6-8 person booth at the end of the trailer, this is where our clients can eat lunch, socialize, and collaborate with one another. Then we decided to have two smaller booths that only fit two people that would go along the side of the trailer and then at the opposite end of the trailer we will have a book shelf built into the wall and it will have many didn’t compartments for books, a refrigerator, microwave, and other appliances. This is a very effective floor plan for the trailer because it contains a fair amount of sit down space for 2-12 people and enough room for everyone to walk around the trailer comfortably. Along with the floor plan we also measured all possible dimensions of the trailer in class because we need to all measurements in order to complete the floor plan and we need the measurements to complete the 1:18 scale model that we will be doing.
Now, as I was talking about in my last blog entry, Sierra and I were leaning towards an old English theme, we are keep on tracking with that idea but our main goal for the look of the trailer is that we want it to look ‘clean’ meaning that we want it to give a feeling of a clam vibe and something that makes people feel at home. So we are sticking with the old English theme idea by allowing a lot of whites, light browns, and blues to be used. Sierra was doing research on pinterst and found different types of fabrics and other materials that can be used in order to allow our theme to be neat, crisp, eye-catching, none sickening, and relaxing.
So one thing that I would like to focus on now is making The Whale Eco-friendly. There has been so much talk about different themes and possible ideas for the whale but an important thing to remember are the types of materials going into the whales’ belly, so today I am talking about MATERIALS. Not long ago we have a small convention at the Ann Richards School and we got to talk to local businesses that gave us great information about ideas for the trailer. One company I spend a majority of my time talking to was Treehouse which is a local business in Austin. At Treehouse the expert explained to us that a great wood that is eco-friendly and cost efficient is bamboo which actually ties in with the look we were leaning towards other flooring materials that are eco-friendly that can also be used for this project are bamboo, reclaimed wood, and interface carpet tile. Another thing that I learned was about what type of paint to use. Many paints contain toxic and chemicals that harm the earth, so to prevent this best type of paint to use is with 0 PVC and non toxic. All these Eco-friendly materials can be found at Treehouse which is a local store in Austin, Texas and by using these type of materials we the whale is able to be Eco-friendly and cost efficient t at the same time. I am urging my peers that no matter what design is chosen we use materials such as bamboo make the whale as Eco-friendly as possible.
Along the floor plans, Sierra, I and the rest of the POE class are in crunch time mode to complete the first milestone. The two major things that must be completed for our milestone which are a 1:18 scale model of the trailer and load calculations for both AC and DC electrical systems. For the scale model we are planning on making it foam boards for the exterior and using neutral colors so that it looks professional and neat. We collect most of the measurements in class. Now the next step is to make a chart and convert all measurements to an 18th of its size. Making the scale model should be fun and interesting but I am personal excited what situations will arise when making it. It is hardcore crunch time and we have a lifetime of work to complete but we only have a total a 9 class hours. In order to pace ourselves properly we created a schedule saying who is doing what on what days. I believe in the Vedastein Design Company team to get us through these next few difficult weeks.