Well hello fellow Ad-VENTURA-ers!
We’re officially in the dark depths of the semester and deep within those dark depths are finals/midterms! In Principles of Engineering (POE), we’ve been working super duper hard on Milestone #1, which is to be our POE final! It would be lying if I said we weren’t stressed, because I think I can speak for all of us when I say, we’re in panic mode. The deadline definitely crept up on us!
We decided the best way to complete Milestone One, would be dividing up the work! Ally has been doing the energy requirements and load calculations, and Miranda and I have been working on the scale model (which is trickier than it sounds- we learned the hard way!) as well as the interior design of the Airstream.
One of the most unexpectedly challenging parts of Milestone One has definitely proved to be the measurements. In fact, we ended up dividing up the measurement portion of the milestone with another design team, Fosheimer and Filles. Despite the competition aspect of VENTURA, I’ve definitely been impressed with how friendly and supportive all the teams have been with each other. It’s a bit of a “we’re all in this together,” attitude, which is really comforting in times of panic as well as helpful in times of need.
Miranda and I decided that we really wanted to evoke this spirit of comfort and community into our own Airstream design, and thus looked to one of our favorite companies, IKEA. IKEA is also known for being the queen of cozy living, and thus, space conservation- something we’re really aiming towards in our Airstream. One thing we found, inspired by IKEA, was storage above and below the benches which will be along (part of) the perimeter of the interior. Hopefully we’ll be able to include some sort of library system with this added shelving, which is something that many of the teachers expressed interest in.
We also came last Saturday (yes, school on Saturday) to work on our interior design and our 3D model, and unfortunately, there was a minor accident. Gaby Ponce of DREAM Designers got her finger stuck in a spool, and fortunately with the help of Miranda and Mrs. Jo, we were able to get it out. This was a small setback as we lost some work time on Saturday, but we were happy to help a fellow designer, and use our brains on some quick creative problem solving. We were also reminded to use tools carefully- especially those sharp X-Acto Knives we use for cutting cardboard!
Tomorrow we’ll hopefully get close to finishing our Scale Model during class, and then we’ll stay after school until around 10PM-ish, or at least whenever we finish the milestone! With finals, Christmas, and the Milestone, we all definitely have a lot on our plates, but we’ve got to stay focused and get it done!
That’s all I have for today, but wish us luck with our finals, and have a lovely end to your year! We’ll be back in 2014 with lots of news to share!