Hello Project VENTURA readers and enthusiasts, it is I, Lucia, back again to bring you up to date on the newest happenings with our Project VENTURA greenhouse. Last you heard, we were still finishing up our greenhouse model and just beginning to measure out the area in which we will be building the greenhouse. We have decided that we are not only going to build a greenhouse for our school’s gardening classes, but we are doing something more to make our gardening classes even better!
Our amazing engineering teacher Ms. Jo had a great idea; she thought that we should give the school more than just a greenhouse, but other important structures as well. Using a book called The Backyard Homestead Book of Building Projects by Spike Carlsen, as a class we decided to pick out a few structures that we liked and thought would be useful for the garden to build; this book has tons of workspace and storage designs to further enhance your garden or backyard. We decided we are going to build an outdoor workbench to easily plant pots with some shade from the hot Texas sun, a cold frame to protect plants from harsh weather, a mini tool shed to store garden tools and materials, and a hose headquarters to be able to easily access and store a watering hose. All of these facilities will allow our students in the gardening classes to have the ability to garden all-year-round. We then needed to figure out where the best place for the greenhouse and these new structures to go in the area that we have to work with.
Since the beginning of the year, we have been introduced to a new software known as Google SketchUp; this software makes it really easy for us to transfer our ideas on paper and in our heads onto the computer. My fellow classmates and I have been working on measuring out and drawing the area where we hope to place the greenhouse, like my classmate, Cypress, informed you about in her last post. With Google SketchUp, we took the drawing that Shilah created and put it into the computer. Then it was important to plan out where we wanted each structure to go. To maximize the possibilities, we worked individually to place the structures into Google SketchUp where we thought they would fit best. The placement of each facility was based on the dimensions of each structure, how accessible each structure would be, and where the already existing structures like the water spigot, sidewalks, walls, pipelines, and the garden were located. Hopefully, in our next class we will look at the possible options that we have explored and make a final decision where we are going to place our greenhouse and new facilities.
Thank you for tuning in and I hope you continue to check in to see where this Project VENTURA greenhouse will lead us!