Hey there friendly readers! It’s been a while… It’s Mariel! It has been such a fun adventure and process continuing the work on our greenhouse model. We are getting serious now! Looking at Home Depot websites, making a list of our supplies, adding up the costs, and so much more.
My class has also planned that we should allow our greenhouse model to be a chicken coop instead of a dog house because it’s a little too small, which Shahar is a little upset about since she wanted her dogs to have it and play around in it. I think this is a great idea because it’s not something that most people build on a regular basis and allows us to learn new skills instead of just sticking with one thing.
Recently we have been working on placing the gambrel roof frame (top part) of the greenhouse, but we have been having some issues about it. When placing it we realized that the side of the board, the length, was too short to reach the outside, the sidewall, of the greenhouse. To solve this problem we made the sidewall smaller to allow the frame to fit properly. After this we fixed the roof frame and made sure the angles were correct. Once this was done Lucia, Mikayla, and I were gluing these pieces together and placing and screwing in the brackets.
Something else that have recently done was we watched a movie called MAKER. This movie was about the makers movement which is a revolution in where people have come to a realization that there is an art behind finding out how something is made, taking it apart, looking at each piece, and figuring out it’s use and what else it could be helpful for. I found this movie very interesting and very inspirational because we, as human beings, are capable of so much, yet we tend to do very little. It has inspired me to expand my comfort zone of building. I usually stick to just building what we do in our engineering class but this movie has shown me that there are things that I could also just do at home.
During class today we were able to proceed with our model and are really close to being done with our final product. There were three different groups. One group was in charge of finishing the door frame, the second group was in charge of fixing up the roof frame with the ridgepole, and finally the last group, the one I was in, was looking up and coming up with ideas for the interior design of the chicken coop. It may sound like an easy task, but we had to go online and search different types of chicken coops. There was also a few things that we had to be aware of. For example, in the movie we watched (the one I mentioned before) there was a problem that was brought up about chicken coops and how their nest boxes can’t be underneath the roosting area because obviously, it will ruin the eggs. Also, in chicken coops we need to make sure they have room to peck and walk around as well as a place to lay their eggs, eat, and do their business (poop) without disturbing any other elements of the coop. Since we had made this model thinking it was just going to be a greenhouse model we have a few constraints with the way it is built because it’s a little small which means we have to make sure that what we decide to place inside the chicken coop fits properly.
We’re so close to finishing this greenhouse and moving on to the next step which is building the actual thing. I’m super excited and I’m sure my peers are as well. The weather has been a little ugly but once it clears up we will continue to put in some hard work.
Thanks for reading,