Team Make It Happen -Anais A.

As you may have noticed from all of these recent blogs, the class of 2018’s engineering DAP is  huge success and is DONE! Kinda, technically, but you know us, here at ARS we like to go the extra mile, no doubt this will apply. Needless to say I am extremely proud of my team and all of the obstacles we overcame and our impressive presenting skills. I have to say, if there is one thing ARS girls are good at, its presenting, and in my opinion (and also our judges obviously) we killed it. I’d also like to just say how great, stressful, painful, and bonding this project was. There is no doubt that this project was a huge reason we are all so close as an advisory, team, and engineering class. With that all being said, I’m going to talk about my part of our presentation just to give you reading this a little insight on a small (VERY small) portion of our struggles. Enjoy:

In the beginning, our initial ideas for the designs of the courtyard were very idealistic.  And all of them had hammocks in extravagant fashions, for example a hammock Star (or circle, depending on how you visualize). Needless to say, by the time we got to the hammock we were faced with  a shortage of hammocks and time, therefore …we settled for one. But we soon found that even one would be a hassle, especially when we were the one’s making a stabilizer for it.

Moving onward, the engineering team went through a series of Trial and Error methods to stabilize the hammock. One of which consisted of cement blocks and wooden stabilizers. Weather conditions made this first attempt unsuccessful and the method proved unable to stand weather, seeing that the boards were loosened. We quickly realized it wasn’t going to work well, and resorted to using the tree in the courtyard and a wooden stabilizer dug deeply to stabilize. We decided to go this route because the former solution held up the hammock next to nothing, you might as well have sat on the ground.

The solution was to make do with existing resources, where we resorted to a tree that provided both stability and shade. For the other support, since there was not another tree to hook the hammock on, we realized that a support had to made to make it work. Just digging down in the ground would not make the hammock safe, stable and would overall defeat the purpose. With that being said, the solution was to cement the base of the wood in a 30 inch hole in the ground, This way the hammock would be stable, be able to carry human weight and serve it’s purpose.

It was important that the wood was level and stayed level as the cement dried. And though it was a hassle, we found a way. #Pixiehohos #Teammakeithappen

Anais Arechiga

 

Advertisements

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s

%d bloggers like this: